Friday, April 11, 2008

Life in Fort Portal

We are enjoying our new life in Fort Portal and are learning new things daily.

Specifically, we have learned:
-not take for granted when we have power and rejoice when the power is on and praise God when we can have a hot shower a few days in a row!
-to appreciate washers and dryers more than ever and are thankful when the internet is up & running (after days & days of working to get it set up)
-that we are amazed when something actually works the first time
-that finding parts to appliances and other household items is nearly impossible here

Aimee Jo has been setting up our home, cooking meals, and taking care of Anaiah. She LOVES being a stay-at-home mom. She's been attending the ladies Bible study on Saturdays, which Cheryl is teaching on the book of Acts. It has been good for her to study and pray with the ladies from church.

Andrew has been busy with accountability meetings, Bible studies, community service, fire fighting training, hospital visits and other ministry opportunities that arise. He is learning about how to minister in this place, which is so different from ministering in America. He is speaking the truth and is always praying for those he is helping.

Anaiah is growing and learning everyday. She brings much joy to us with her smile and slobbery kisses. She makes us laugh and amazes us with her new found abilities. And the most adorable thing is her singing and dancing during praise time at church--it's GREAT! She continues to stay strong & healthy, which we are most thankful for.

We miss our families & friends very much, which is to be expected. We allow ourselves to feel sad, cry, and pray to God for comfort & peace, and then press on.

All in all, things are going well.

God is Good...all the time...all the time...GOD IS GOOD!!

12 comments:

Allan W. said...

And I'm thankful for when your Internet works - and brings us news from Fort Portal!

Thinking and praying for you guys. We can't wait to see more of Anaiah; she looks precious!

Today's a perfectly warm and sunny day here in Portland. We're having a cleanup day at PUMP. I'm working on worship for tomorrow. Live moves on like a river. I hope there's not a waterfall ahead...

Kristi said...

Thank you for the update, Martins! We love hearing about your every day experiences. You are always close to our thoughts. Just today, when Connor led prayer for lunch at our clean-up day at PUMP, he thanked God for Andrew & Aimee Jo in Uganda. Love you much!

Kristi said...

Thanks for the update. I think about you often and you are always in my prayers. I love the last picture - it looks like a face Andrew would make!

Tim said...

Kori thinks Anaiah's smile on the last picture looks like Andrew's dad.

Matt Tibbles said...

My prayers for the Martins continue to be placed on the heart of God. Thank you for allowing me the privilege to pray for you all.

Brian Pannell said...

Man I love you guys. I cannot imagine the difficulty it takes you guys some day and I admire your faith and perseverance.

Aniah is SO big and gorgeous!

Much love-
Pannell

kelsey Bryanne said...

We miss you so very much! I pray for comfort for you guys! I am thankful that you allow yourselves to feel sad about missing home... I cant lie, as much as I hate you being sad, boy I sure am glad you miss us:) I love you so very much!!!
kels

mamajoy said...

I love any new pictures you can send of our grand daughter she is so sweet and growing so much. She seems to be happy if you have electricity or not.
Love, Mom

Destiny said...

Aimee, Doug and I can't believe how big Anaiah has gotten! We think her face has thinned out and now she is looking more like a little girl, instead of a baby girl. She is Beautiful! I love the last picture you posted of her, that expression captures her personality- pure joy!
Love you!

Ryan said...

Aimee and Doug,

I love you guys too. Can I say this you can always try ebay. I find lots of stuff on there haha.

ON the real when you said you thank God for power when it's on I thought it was some allegory to the power of money or something. I'm so silly some times.

James T Wood said...

Good to hear from you!

We miss you a lot, but we know that you are making these sacrifices for a purpose. God is in the business of blessing his kids and we know that he's got some great blessings in store for you.

Anonymous said...

Aimee Jo, how are you?! I want you to know I keep updated with you guys on your blogs all the time, I'm just not good at leaving comments. Anaiah is SO darling, I love seeing the pictures of her. I bet you and Andrew are having so much fun with her!!!! I'm really glad that be able to read about all the things you guys are doing. I really hope things are going well. You are very much missed here! Love Always,