Wednesday, February 20, 2008

On The Road Again

We've had an adventurous week, traveling around Uganda to three different towns!

We began our journey last Thursday, when we loaded up the hilux and set out for Kampala for three nights. (We have been to Kampala before, but this trip was significant, because it was just Andrew, Anaiah and me traveling by ourselves. The Cashes were just a few hours behind us, though, in case we needed them!)

We made it to Kampala just fine, with one stop to feed the babe. (She is an awesome traveler BTW!) Then, we followed the map and with a few phone calls, made it to Mark & Jamie's house, where we stayed while in the big city. We did really well getting around...Thursday night we made our way from Mark & Jamie's to Caffe Roma, which has pizza & ice cream that we love! Friday was a day for shopping and learning the city. We found the places that we needed to go, enjoyed a nice lunch at the mall, then shopped for some grocery and house items that we cannot get in Fort Portal.

Jamie fed us dinner Friday night (thanks-it was yummy!) and then Saturday we were off again. Well, Andrew & Jeff were out and about...Cheryl, the kids and I just hung out for the day at the place where they were staying (and did I mention that it was VERY HOT? Well, it was). Andrew & Jeff had quite a day--trying to get rims for the hilux, test driving a car (possibly for our family) and driving around the city for a couple of hours, just to get to one destination! I guess I have no room to speak about being hot--they were in the hilux with no A/C, out in the heat all day!

Sunday morning, we loaded up again and were off to Mbale for the quarterly meeting, with all of the other C of C missionaries from Uganda. Darla (a missionary from Kampala) offered to let us take her vehicle, which has A/C and is a much smoother ride, so of course, we said, "YES, PLEASE!"

Our first stop was Jinja, where we ate at "Ling, Ling," a Chinese restaurant. It was so good (for any of you who know me, I love Chinese food, so it was a real treat)! Then, we were off to Mbale. While in Mbale, we stayed with the Shelburne family and got to visit with missionaries from around Uganda. It was a fun time and all of the kids enjoyed playing together and loving on the babies that were there. Once again, the thought crossed my mind about how thankful I am that we live in Fort Portal, because Mbale was HOT, HOT HOT!!

We are now just finishing up a few things in Kampala, and then it’s back to Fort Portal, where we will move the stuff that we have to our house and begin setting up our home. (And as you can tell, I did lie in our last post, as I was not aware of all of the events that would transpire. Needless to say, we did not move in last week, but will work on it this next week—unless something else comes up!)

7 comments:

mamajoy said...

Hi, Kids I am glad that you got to get out on your own and travel to see the other missionaries what a treat. Especially having Chinese food that is a great treat for you Aimee. I was wondering if you had been able to move yet . I am praying for you daily and wishing we were there with you.
Love, Mom

brenda said...

Congrats on travelling alone! I am glad it was a good experience for you. Did you have any indian food perhaps while in Kampala? You know I loved it while we were visiting. I also think we may have gone to that italian food place while we were there. Not too shabby, I really enjoyed the pizza I had.

Tessa said...

This stuff all sounds so fascinating! I love the pictures of your sweet girl (both on your other blog and from Grandpa Dennis)! Hope things are all going well!

Amanda Rae said...

wish i was there to help you guys move in!! i am so excited to come and visit one of these days! i love you and am praying for you! hope you get the stinkin container VERY soon!!! hugs and kisses!

Unknown said...

wow...you guys are regular ol' Ugandans now!
Sounds fun. We are praying for you!

Ryan said...

For real yo sounds fun traveling and seeing the sites. I always enjoy a journey the sites the sounds the experience....

Allan W. said...

Enjoying the blog, guys - keep it coming! I'm sure it's loads of fun trying to get online, but it's worth it for your readers.

Please say hi to the Cashes for me. You guys are in our thoughts and prayers daily.