Thursday, July 24, 2008

Culture Stress

It's a lot like what everyone said it would be.

I became extremely homesick and overwhelmed by even the smallest of tasks. I did not want to leave our house. I cried-A LOT. And the tears helped me to heal. I prayed-both for my family & friends back in America and for myself. I needed God's comfort more than any other time in my life.

Missionary friends were my saving grace, as they would listen to me tell stories of home, vent about frustrations of living in a new place, ask questions, and vent some more. They all reassured me that they had been there at one point or another and that it was normal for me to be experiencing those thoughts and feelings.

On top of that, it hit me when I was in the middle of my 1st trimester of my second pregnancy. I was so sick that I could hardly will myself out of bed to care for my 9 month old daughter. It was bad. I was sick, depressed, and so exhausted. I slept many hours on the couch. I can't even tell you what we ate for those 6 weeks, because I didn't cook and we didn't have much to snack on, but somehow we made it through.

Thankfully, I'm coming out of "it". I am feeling happier these days and seem to be able to accomplish tasks on my "to do" list. I feel confident to drive around Fort Portal to do shopping and errands and am slowly getting things done around the house before baby #2 makes his/her entrance!

As far as pregnancy goes, I'm in my 14th week and am feeling MUCH better than before. I have energy and my appetite back. Even so, energy only lasts so long...and it is a very late 10:00 pm. :)

So, I'm off to bed on this Thursday night, feeling good about waking up to the sunlight and finding what tomorrow has to offer.

8 comments:

brenda said...

I am glad to hear that you are getting more comfortable! Focusing on other things will hopefully help with that (to pass the time at least).

Kristi said...

Blessings to you friend. You are in our prayers. Saw Amanda the othet day - it had been awhile> Love to you all

Patty said...

Glad you're in an "up" time. Remember it when culture hits you again. And always remember that word "normal" Culture shock happens. It's hard. And it passes.

Love you!

Kori said...

We think of you often, and I am glad to hear that things are getting a little better.

sarah said...

Congrats!! I wish i could give you guys a hug! I am thankful for the people that surround us and encourage and listen when we need it. You guys are in my thoughts often.

Kristi said...

Bless your sweet heart. I wish I could sit with you tonight (or in the morning, since you'd fall asleep on me at this point), drink a cup of tea, and talk and talk about absolutely whatever.

Brian Pannell said...

Jessie and I are praying for you daily!

Stonefox said...

I found your blog stumbling around in the blog world. I am an overseas worker (in Asia). We've been here 6 years and first came when I was 5 months pregnant. Lots of adjustments, and they just keep coming. But God is so good. His mercies are new every morning.